38 killed in Nigeria mine gas explosion

ABUJA.   At least 38 people have been killed and many others injured following a gas explosion at a lead mining site in central Nigeria’s Plateau State, local officials said on Wednesday.

The incident occurred on Wednesday morning at a site operated by Solid Mining Company in the Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area, affecting mainly miners working underground.

Preliminary reports showed that an accumulation of toxic gases, believed to be carbon monoxide, triggered the explosion in underground tunnels during peak operations.

Local tribal authorities described the scene as “catastrophic.” Aliyu Adamu Idris, the acting district head, told local media that most of the victims were young men aged 20 to 35.

“It is a dark day for our community. We have lost 38 of our energetic youths to this tragedy, leaving many families in mourning,” Idris said.

Alfred Alabo, police spokesperson in Plateau, said security personnel had been deployed to cordon off the site while authorities finalize a detailed briefing on the incident.

Local media, citing medical sources, reported that about 27 people are receiving treatment for severe respiratory distress, with most survivors suffering from acute inhalation of toxic fumes. Xinhua

Related Posts

Zim, SA ties hit new highs

Nduduzo Tshuma in JOHANNESBURG, South Africa ZIMBABWE’S economic resurgence and growing appeal as a safe investment destination, driven by policy reforms under President Mnangagwa, took centre stage at the Zimbabwe-South…

.Zim, S.A ink 6 agreements at Fourth BNC

Nduduzo Tshuma in PRETORIA, South Africa ZIMBABWE and South Africa yesterday signed six agreements to deepen cooperation across key sectors, reaffirming their commitment to translating the two countries’ historic bonds…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *