Bulawayo man convicted over US$3 800 car break-in theft

Getrude Manyande [email protected]

A 31-YEAR-OLD Bulawayo man has been convicted of stealing laptops, cellphones and clothing worth nearly US$4 000 after breaking into a parked vehicle at a house in the city.
Antony Sibanda (31) of Lobengula West suburb was convicted of theft by Western Commonage magistrate Mr

Bethel Negato, who remanded him in custody to Wednesday for sentencing.
Prosecuting, Ms Mandrela Chisiiwa told the court that on April 3, the complainant, Marvelous Sikhosana, parked his Honda Fit motor vehicle inside his yard after securely locking it.

He left two laptops, cellphones and clothing inside the vehicle before retiring for the night.
“The following morning, at around 6AM, the complainant discovered that a window of the vehicle had been smashed and the property had been stolen,” said Ms Chisiiwa.

The theft was reported to the police, whose investigations led to Sibanda’s arrest.
The court heard that property valued at US$3 850 was stolen, with only items worth US$645 having been recovered.

In mitigation, Sibanda pleaded for leniency, telling the court that he was an orphan whose wife had left him to take care of their two children, who are now staying with his grandmother.
He said he committed the offence because one of the children was ill and he needed money to buy medication.

 

Related Posts

US$5 000 sports tourney set for Inyathi on Sunday

Raymond Jaravaza, Zimpapers Reporter FOOTBALL and netball consisting of healthcare professionals, members of the Zimbabwe Prisons and Correctional Service as well as the youth are set to compete in the…

Hwange roar, Talen Vision edge Zebra Revolution

Fungai Muderere [email protected] HWANGE have so far produced the biggest statement in Saturday’s Pacific Breeze Southern Region Soccer League Match Day 23 action after thumping Imbizo 4-0 in a one-sided…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *