Zapu leadership dysfunctional — Ncube
Chronicle Reporter
EXPELLED Zapu Bulawayo provincial chairman Retired Colonel Ray Lazarus Ncube has said the party needs leadership renewal including that of party leader Dr Dumiso Dabengwa, whom he described as too old for the post.
In an interview with Chronicle on Thursday Rtd Col Ncube, who was ejected from the party last month for indiscipline, said Dr Dabengwa was no longer competent to lead the party, adding that his expulsion was a non-event as he will bounce back.
Warriors were not prepared for Angola encounter
Saul Gwakuba Ndlovu
On 14 October 2012, the Zimbabwe national soccer team, the Warriors, were booted out of Africa Cup of Nations by Angola in Luanda in the return leg of the qualifier for the tournament to be held in South Africa next year.
Gweru police launch operation against touts
Midlands Correspondent
POLICE in Gweru have launched Operation Hwindi Ndiani, which is meant to flush out touts and commuters for touting or waiting for transport at undesignated points.
The operation is targeting mainly points in the city centre and outskirts mainly frequented by touts and commuters.
PM Tsvangirai meets Zimbabweans in Botswana
Harare Bureau
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai yesterday met Zimbabweans based in Botswana and briefed them on the situation in the country.
The meeting was organised by Zimbabweans based in Botswana.
Big match fever
Sikhumbuzo Moyo
Senior Sports Reporter
THE blockbuster Battle of the Titans Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match pitting giants Dynamos and Highlanders set for Rufaro Stadium on Sunday will be a “damp squib” if the two teams go ahead and play under conditions set by their principal sponsor, BancABC amid reports that league sponsors Delta Beverages have threatened to pull out.
The move to incentivise the match by the bank has been described as “ambush” and “dirty” marketing by observers.
To cover its back, the PSL has also threatened not to recognise the game as a league match if it is played under the BancABC banner.
GMB moves 170 000t grain to deficit areas
Harare Bureau
The Grain Marketing Board (GMB) has moved 170 000 tonnes of grain to deficit areas under the Government’s grain loan scheme.
Millions gather as hajj rituals peak
Mount Arafat — Vast crowds of Muslim pilgrims, all dressed in white, flocked to Mount Arafat in Saudi Arabia’s west to take part in the main rituals of the annual hajj early yesterday.
Ndumiso Gumede ready to quit Zifa
Lovemore Dube
“MY time is up in football, I think I have done enough for the sport and my country.”
This was the bold message from Ndumiso Gumede, the Zifa vice-president, when Chronicle caught up with him at his home in the Inyathi communal lands yesterday afternoon.
Civil servants to get bonuses
Prosper Ndlovu
THE Minister of Finance, Tendai Biti, yesterday assured civil servants that they will be paid their annual bonuses as usual.
Speaking at a 2013 pre-budget consultative meeting in Bulawayo Minister Biti, who recently caused panic when he indicated that civil servants bonuses were in doubt this year citing suppressed revenue inflows, said the Government was committed to rewarding its workers.
This was after participants during the meeting pressurised him to clarify his position on the issue, saying it was a cause for concern.
Mpilo Central Hospital Clinical Director Dr Wedu Ndebele said uncertainties in the payment of civil servants’ bonuses were demoralising health workers.
Strong winds leave trail of destruction
Chronicle Reporter
Strong winds left a trail of destruction in Esigodini recently.






