Government dismisses false Covid-19 death claims

Nqobile Bhebhe, [email protected]

GOVERNMENT has dismissed as fake claims that there were five Covid-19 deaths at Mpilo Central Hospital, noting that current surveillance data points to increased influenza activity and not a resurgence of the coronavirus.

In a statement, the Ministry of Health and Child Care said the messages circulating on social media purporting to report Covid-19 deaths at Mpilo and cases at Sally Mugabe Central Hospital in Harare were not official communication.

“The Ministry categorically states that the message is false and not an official communication. Claims of Covid-19 deaths at Mpilo Central Hospital and cases at Sally Mugabe Central Hospital are false,” said the ministry.

The clarification comes amid growing circulation of messages on WhatsApp and other social media platforms claiming a resurgence of Covid-19 in the country, sparking concern among members of the public.

The ministry said its latest surveillance data instead showed heightened influenza activity, with about 12 000 cases being reported each week.

“For clarity, current surveillance data indicates increased influenza activity, with approximately 12 000 cases reported per week.

Laboratory testing has predominantly detected Influenza A and B, with no coronavirus detected in the samples tested,” said the ministry.

The Government also clarified that the Ministry of Health and Child Care does not issue official public health updates through WhatsApp groups or channels.

The ministry also urged members of the public to refrain from forwarding unverified messages presented as official Government communication, warning that misinformation could undermine public confidence in the health system, generate unnecessary fear and interfere with public health interventions.

It also warned that the deliberate dissemination of false health information could attract legal consequences.

The Government’s clarification follows concerns raised last week over an increase flu case being treated at Mpilo, where hospital authorities reported deaths among patients presenting with severe respiratory symptoms.

Mpilo Central Hospital chief executive officer Professor Solwayo Ngwenya earlier told this publication that five people had died at the institution after presenting with the illness, which has been circulating in Bulawayo and other parts of the country.

He however, had ruled out fears that the outbreak was linked to a new strain of Covid-19.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health and Child Care Dr Aspect Maunganidze told journalists during a press conference on Friday that influenza activity typically peaks during June and July.

“This year, however, the peak has occurred in August, coinciding with the prolonged cold spell currently being experienced across the country. While this represents a later than usual seasonal peak, there is no cause for panic or alarm,” he said.

The ministry however, noted that influenza may aggravate underlying conditions such as asthma, tuberculosis, heart disease and other chronic conditions, and continues to monitor severe cases and deaths.

Dr Maunganidze said while most people recover from influenza without complications, greater caution is advised for certain vulnerable groups.

“Children under five years, particularly infants, people aged 65 years and above, pregnant women, people living with chronic conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease and HIV and people with weakened immune systems or other conditions that increase the risk of severe respiratory illness,” he said.

Dr Maunganidze emphasised that prompt medical attention should be sought where there is difficulty breathing, chest pain, persistent or very high fever, severe weakness or confusion, inability to

drink or signs of dehydration, convulsions, or worsening symptoms after an initial improvement.

“Parents and guardians should seek urgent care for young children who have difficulty breathing, refuse to breastfeed or take feeds, become unusually sleepy or unresponsive, or show other signs of severe illness,” he said.

The ministry reassured the public that the current increase in influenza activity remains within the expected seasonal pattern, although the peak has extended into August in the context of the current cold spell.

Dr Maunganidze also highlighted that they have the necessary surveillance, laboratory and clinical systems in place and is adequately monitoring and responding to the situation.

“Members of the public are encouraged to remain calm, take the recommended preventive measures, protect those who are most vulnerable, and seek medical attention promptly when necessary.”

“The ministry will continue to monitor developments and provide further information should there be any significant change in the situation,” he said.

Related Posts

Zimbabwe champions food security at SADc Summit

Kudakwashe Mugari in DURBAN, South Africa PRESIDENT Mnangagwa arrived in Durban, South Africa, yesterday ahead of today’s 46th Ordinary Summit of SADC Heads of State and Government, with Zimbabwe set…

Kariba ferry death toll rises to 84, as probe intensifies

Freeman Razemba and Walter Nyamukondiwa, Zimpapers Reporters THE death toll from the Lake Kariba ferry disaster rose to 84 yesterday, as Government intensified investigations into the RIDA-owned passenger vessel, with…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

×