ID SEEKER LOSES MONEY TO BOGUS RG WORKER

Yeukai Karengezeka-Chisepo

Court Correspondent

A Zengeza 5 man appeared in the Harare Magistrates’ Court last Friday accused of defrauding a member of the public after allegedly posing as a Registrar General’s Office employee and offering to facilitate the acquisition of a national identity card.

Noel Huni (20), also known as Tinashe, appeared before Harare magistrate Ms Ayanda Dhlamini facing fraud charges.

He was granted US$100 bail and will return to court on September 4 for trial commencement. The complainant is Kudzai Mushonga. The State alleges that the incident occurred on August 12, 2026, at the Registrar General’s Office at Market Square in Harare.

Prosecutor Mr Takudzwa Mutyavaviri told the court that Mushonga had gone to the offices to apply for a national identity document when he was allegedly approached by Huni.

Huni allegedly misrepresented himself as an employee of the Registrar General’s Office and told Mushonga that he could assist him obtain a national identity card without difficulty.

The court heard that Huni demanded US$30 for the purported service. Mushonga allegedly paid US$25, with Huni telling him that the remaining US$5 would be paid upon collection of the document.

After receiving the money, Huni allegedly entered the building and did not return.  Mushonga reportedly waited for some time before suspecting that he had been duped.

He allegedly tried several times to contact Huni on the phone numbers he had been given, but the calls went unanswered.

Mushonga subsequently lodged a report at the Zimbabwe Republic Police Post at Market Square. The court further heard that Huni was later arrested after Mushonga spotted him outside the Registrar General’s Offices at Market Square and alerted the police.

Related Posts

DUO IN TROUBLE OVER COPPER CABLES

Arron Nyamayaro Police have warned members of the public against vandalising public utilities and other critical infrastructure. The warning follows the arrest of Ben Zvinaishe (27) and the conviction of…

KARIBA FERRY DISASTER BECOMES ZIMBABWE’S DEADLIEST AS TOLL REACHES 92

Walter Nyamukondiwa in KARIBA The death toll from the RIDA Mbuya Nehanda ferry disaster has risen to 92, making it the country’s deadliest transport tragedy and surpassing the 1991 Nyanga…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *