Fungai Lupande
Mashonaland Central Bureau
The Government has shut down an illegal gold processing operation at Trojan Mine in Bindura amid a widening probe into alleged encroachment on State and private mining properties by entities linked to Botha Gold Mine.
Mines and Mining Development Minister Dr Polite Kambamura visited the mine last week and ordered an immediate halt to all operations at Oxidise Mine, a joint venture linked to Botha Gold Mine, after residents complained of blasting, dust pollution and damage to property.
The minister said the operation had no authorisation to conduct mining activities at the site.
“We are here in response to grievances from the community regarding unsafe and substandard operations at this mine. All miners are required to secure the necessary documentation and authorisations before they can begin work. What we have observed here is that this operation was not authorised,” Minister Kambamura said.
“They are destroying hillsides with no plan in place to restore the land once mining ceases. As of today, we are halting all operations, and we have directed those in charge to present themselves at our offices as we proceed with further inquiries.”
Residents said they had endured months of blasting tremors and dust, with some alleging damage to property, including collapsed boreholes.
The closure has now opened a wider investigation into the operations of Oxidize Mine, which investigations have established is the same entity as Oxidize Resources (Private) Limited.
In a separate area from Trojan Mine, Oxidise Resources is facing another formal complaint over alleged encroachment on mining ground belonging to Direct Mining (Private) Limited.
Legal papers dated July 16, 2026 show that Machaya & Associates Legal Practitioners, acting for Direct Mining, lodged a complaint and application for an injunction before the Provincial Mining Director for Mashonaland Central in terms of Section 354 of the Mines and Minerals Act [Chapter 21:05].
The application, Direct Mining (Private) Limited vs Oxidize Resources (Private) Limited, claims that Oxidize Resources invaded an area covered by Direct Mining’s Special Grant and commenced mining operations without lawful authority.
Direct Mining says its Special Grant is awaiting renewal, but maintains that the pending renewal does not give Oxidize Resources the right to enter or mine on the disputed ground.
The company further insists that the area being mined by Oxidize Resources is not part of the Botha 1-4 claims.
Through its lawyers, Direct Mining asked the Provincial Mining Director to urgently intervene and stop Oxidize Resources from entering the area, mining or conducting any other mining activities there.
The company also sought an order halting all operations by Oxidize Resources on the disputed ground and formal notification to the company that legal action was being pursued.
Copies of the complaint were served on Oxidize Resources and the Environmental Management Agency director-general.
Almost a month after the complaint was lodged, the application for the injunction had not yet been determined.
The complaint provides a new dimension to the Government probe, with the alleged Trojan Mine encroachment and the Direct Mining dispute occurring in separate areas but involving the same entity.
Investigations have also clarified the ownership of the mining assets at the centre of the probe.
While initial reports placed the illegal processing plant on ML21, further checks established that the operation had encroached onto a substantial portion of Trojan Mine.
Sources allege that after Botha Gold Mine’s activities on ML21, where it was reportedly collecting a 30 percent gross tribute from artisanal miners without Mutapa’s knowledge, were curtailed, operations shifted to Trojan Mine.
The probe has also extended beyond mining claims, with Sendoyi Trust, a 36 percent shareholder in Botha Gold Mine linked to managing director Themba Hlongwani, facing legal action over alleged interference with private urban land.
Zuze Law Chambers, acting for Sally Mugabe Heights Housing Cooperative Society Limited, issued a notice on July 1, 2026, ordering Sendoyi Trust to immediately cease interference on Stand 2065 at Acorn Farm in Harare, warning of criminal trespass and further legal action.
The developments have raised questions over apparent regulatory inaction by district and provincial EMA officials and the provincial Mines office, with calls for an administrative review into possible regulatory failures.
Government maintains that while it is pushing for increased gold production as a key foreign currency earner, economic targets will not override environmental laws, mining regulations and the welfare of communities.



