Tinashe Kusema
Zimpapers Sports Hub
JUNIOR SABLES coach Shaun De Souza expects to retain a 19-player core from the team that won bronze at this year’s Barthes Trophy as Zimbabwe begin preparations for the 2027 competition.
An alignment camp is planned for October, while De Souza says talks are under way for Zimbabwe to host the World Schools Rugby Festival next year.
“The good thing going for us is that we will only lose about 11 players for next year’s Barthes Trophy, so we already have a core team of about 19 to start with,” De Souza said.
Zimbabwe finished third at this year’s Barthes Trophy after losing 35-23 to eventual champions Kenya in the semi-finals before beating Tunisia 38-12 in the bronze-medal match.
Kenya defeated Namibia 33-14 in the final to win a record fourth title and qualify for the World Rugby Junior Trophy.
“While it was not ideal, or what we went to do, we have no option but to accept it and move on,” De Souza said.
“That is a podium finish, and it gave us something tangible to take away from the tournament, especially with such a new-look squad.
“I don’t think we want to look at bronze as simply a consolation.
“We wanted to compete for the top positions, and losing to Kenya in the opening match cost us that opportunity.
“But the bronze medal and remaining in the Performance Division gave the players confidence and Zimbabwe rugby a platform to keep building from.”
De Souza wants preparations for next year’s tournament to begin early.
“The goal is to start our preparations early, with an alignment camp slated for some time in October,” he said.
He also hopes the proposed World Schools Rugby Festival will provide the Junior Sables with further international competition.
The festival is an invitational 15-a-side tournament for youth teams. A Zimbabwe Under-19 side made its debut at the event last year.
“Talks are currently under way for Zimbabwe to host the World Schools Rugby Festival, and should that come to fruition, we will begin our preparations for that tournament in November,” De Souza said.
Zimbabwe ended their Uganda tour with a 53-32 Test victory over the hosts on Saturday, a match De Souza regarded as the first step towards next year’s Barthes Trophy.
The Junior Sables led 32-6 at half-time before Uganda responded in the second half. Brendon Musekiwa and Joshua Chitwe scored two tries each, while Vimbiso Kasvosve, Wayne Gandiwa, Curtis Mashonganyika, Tavonga Chirisa and Blessed Mukuviri also crossed for Zimbabwe.
“It was a good game, and I believe we demonstrated our true rugby brand during that first half,” De Souza said.
“That is how we wanted to play and should have played the whole tournament.
“The goal was to give everyone a run as we begin our preparations for next year’s tournament.”



