Fungai Muderere, [email protected]
BULAWAYO Chiefs FC have been fined US$2 000, while assistant coach Agent Sawu and captain Melikhaya Ncube were each fined US$500 following incidents of disorderly conduct during their Chibuku Super Cup first-round match against Hardrock FC at Chahwanda Stadium on Sunday.
The Premier Soccer League (PSL) announced the disciplinary action yesterday, stating that the club, Sawu and Ncube had been charged under Order 15 of the PSL Standing Orders, Offences and Fines.
Order 15 prohibits clubs, officials and players from engaging in conduct before, during or after a match that disrupts the orderly proceedings of the game.
According to the PSL, the offences covered under the provision include violent or aggressive conduct, damage to equipment and other forms of behaviour deemed unbecoming.
“Bulawayo Chiefs FC was fined US$2 000. Agent Sawu and Melikhaya Ncube were each fined US$500,” said the PSL in a statement.
The disciplinary action comes just two days after Chiefs’ Chibuku Super Cup first-round tie against Hardrock, with the league reiterating its commitment to upholding discipline, professionalism and respect at its matches.
The sanctions serve as a reminder to clubs, players and officials that emotions arising from high-stakes encounters must not translate into conduct that undermines the orderly administration of the game.
With both the league and cup competitions entering a decisive stage of the season, Chiefs will be expected to move on from the controversy and focus on their campaign while ensuring that players and officials adhere to the standards of conduct required by the league.
The PSL said the measures formed part of its ongoing efforts to protect the integrity of domestic football and maintain order at matches.
—@FungaiMuderere



