Rebels seize key military camp in northern Mali

Tuareg separatists and jihadists waging a unified battle to bring down Mali’s junta have gained control of a key military camp in the north of the country.

Multiple sources have confirmed that the army and its Russian mercenary allies have surrendered the strategic Tessalit military base near the Algerian border.

A security source in Gao, south of the camp, told AFP journalists that “no clashes took place” during the capture of the base as regular troops had already evacuated.

An official from the Tuareg-dominated Azawad Liberation Front (FLA) separatist group said forces at Tessalit were scattering southwards.

Friday’s assault follows large-scale, deadly attacks last weekend by FLA separatists and jihadist rebels on junta strongholds across Mali.

This resulted in the death of at least 23 people, including Defence Minister Sadio Camara, a key figure in the military-led government.

He died as a result of a car bomb at his residence in Kati, a garrison town near Bamako.

During the series of attacks, the militants took the northern city of Kidal.

The Tuareg rebels later predicted they would conquer the country’s north and the junta would “fall”.

Tessalit serves as a strategic base due to its geographical location and features a well-maintained airstrip capable of accommodating helicopters and other large military aircraft.

It had hosted a significant number of Malian troops and their Russian allies, in addition to a substantial quantity of military equipment.

The fall of Tessalit comes a day after the al-Qaeda affiliate, the Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims (JNIM), tightened its blockade on the capital, Bamako. — AFP

 

Related Posts

Minister urges women to turn vision into action

Herald Correspondent Women’s visions must move from talk to action because they are central to Zimbabwe’s development agenda, Women’s Affairs, Community, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Minister Monica Mutsvangwa has…

BREAKING: Death toll from Kariba boat disaster rises to 80 as eight more bodies are recovered

Walter Nyamukondiwa in KARIBA AT least eight more bodies have been recovered this morning, bringing the total deaths in the RIDA Kariba boat disaster to 80. Mashonaland West Provincial Affairs…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *