Trump warns of economic consequences for any country that supports Iran

WASHINGTON/DUBAI — U.S. President Donald Trump warned ​of economic consequences for any country that provided “any type of lifeline to Iran” as the United States looks to resolve a war it began alongside Israel nearly six months ‌ago.

Thousands have been killed in the war, which quickly drew in Gulf nations and shocked global markets as Iran flexed its ability to curb shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, which carried about a fifth of the world’s traded oil before February.

The U.S. and Iran have twice announced ceasefire deals, in April and June, aiming to restore the free flow of shipping through Hormuz on a path towards ending the conflict, but both quickly ​crumbled, even as Israel has largely withdrawn from the fighting.

In a social media message on Wednesday, Trump promised “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented ​scale,” although details were scant.

Iran has weathered near-continuous, punishing economic sanctions for nearly 50 years, since the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

“ANY country that allows its ⁠financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences,” Trump wrote.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi called Trump’s comments an ​attempt to divert American public opinion from domestic financial problems, including record debt and rising interest rates.

He said Washington’s insistence on policies he described as failed would bring further failures and alienate Iranians.

“America’s economic ​terrorism threatens the global economy and the national sovereignty of countries around the world,” he said on X.

Trump has yet to achieve the objectives he set out at the start of the war: dismantling Iran’s nuclear programme, curbing its ability to attack regional rivals and creating conditions for Iranians to overthrow their clerical rulers.

Trump’s social media threats and announcements do not always get implemented as written.

He did not say ​what specific steps the U.S. would take or name any country, though the warning would appear to extend to U.S. allies that have helped mediate peace talks.

Iran has separately been negotiating an agreement ​on managing the Strait of Hormuz with Oman and has said several times in recent weeks that an agreement was close.

Trump responded on Monday to those negotiations with a threat, warning he might bomb the ‌Gulf state, ⁠a longstanding U.S. security partner, if it “gets in the way”.

Omani Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi, speaking after meeting his Japanese counterpart, said yesterday lasting security in the strait required a permanent peace in the region and rejected further escalation.

China buys more than 80 percent of Iran’s shipped oil, 2025 data from analytics firm Kpler shows, but the U.S. risks retaliation should it engage in further economic warfare with China, a major exporter of items such as vital rare earth minerals to the U.S.

“Sanctions and pressure will not solve the problem,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian told reporters at a ​regular press briefing.

“China calls on all parties concerned ​to take responsible measures to resolve the ⁠issue through political and diplomatic means.”

Iran entered the war with high inflation, a ​weakening currency, energy shortages, sanctions ⁠and deep structural weaknesses, and must now contend with damaged infrastructure, disrupted trade, lost production and the cost of rebuilding.

President Masoud Pezeshkian acknowledged the economic toll in remarks on state television last week, in which he blamed high inflation on a U.S. blockade of Iranian ports and sanctions on Iran’s oil exports.

On Tuesday, Trump said no talks, were taking place with Iran. A day earlier, Jared Kushner, his son-in-law and ⁠special envoy, struck ​an upbeat tone, saying talks were still underway and “probably more robust” than ever.

Trump wants to seize Iran’s stockpile of ​highly enriched uranium and is seeking a new, more restrictive agreement curbing its nuclear energy and research programmes, to replace one from which he unilaterally withdrew the U.S. in 2018.

A signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty, Iran has said for ​decades its nuclear programmes were peaceful. — Reuters.

Related Posts

Horray! ….NSS okayed as international football comes home

Fungai Muderere [email protected] ZIMBABWEAN football has every reason to celebrate after the National Sports Stadium was granted CAF Category Three approval, bringing to an end a long wait for the…

National Sports Stadium gets CAF Category 3 nod

Fungai Muderere [email protected] ZIMBABWEAN football has been handed a major boost after the National Sports Stadium was granted CAF Category 3 approval, paving the way for the country to host…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *