Zim/Cote d’Ivoire match cancelled

Sports Reporter
THE drama continues around the Olympic Games qualifier second leg match between Zimbabwe and Cote d’Ivoire as the match was cancelled after the latter withdrew from the qualifiers.

The return leg was initially pencilled for August 2 but was rescheduled for tomorrow after Cote d’Ivoire failed to turn up.

The Mighty Warriors missed the first leg on July 19 after ZIFA failed to raise $34 000 that was needed for the trip and were fined US$10 400 while the Mighty Warriors lost the match on a 0-3 scoreline.

The Confederation of African Football had also withdrawn Zimbabwe from the fixture programme and installed Cameroon to play Cote d’Ivoire after the forfeited game in July.

However, CAF’s decision was overturned by FIFA, who rescheduled the match.

And the Mighty Warriors were in camp since Sunday in preparation of the game.

Yesterday, ZIFA president Cuthbert Dube revealed that the Ivorians had withdrawn from the qualifiers.

“We have received the good news from FIFA that our opponents Cote d’ivoire are no longer participating in the Olympics Games slot, so it is to our advantage,” said Dube.

“We are now supposed to put resources together so that we face Cameroon in the fourth round of the qualifiers.”

ZIFA yesterday said on their website that FIFA informed them that Cote d’Ivoire had withdrawn from the Olympic qualifier scheduled for tomorrow at Rufaro.

“Cote d’Ivoire’s senior women team has withdrawn from the Olympic qualifier match which was scheduled for Rufaro Stadium on Sunday.

“FIFA confirmed the withdrawal of Cote d’Ivoire from the competition through its head of FIFA World Cup, Olympic Qualifiers and International matches Gordon Savic.”

ZIFA went on to quote FIFA’s Savic on their website confirming the development.

“Please be informed that we have just been notified by Côte d’Ivoire that they are withdrawing the women’s national team from the current Olympic Qualifiers,” said Savic.

“The third round second-leg match rescheduled for Sunday 23rd August 2015 in Harare is thus definitely cancelled.”

Zimbabwe will participate, only if they assure FIFA that they have available funds for both home and away games.

“In the meantime, we would like to ask ZIFA to provide FIFA with written guarantees that, in order to be definitely qualified for the fourth qualifying round (home-and-away series), Zimbabwe will undertake to play both matches and that the necessary funds to play away from home are confirmed to be fully available,” wrote Savic

“For your orientation, the opponent in the next round is Cameroon and the first-leg match would take place in Yaoundé on either 2nd or 3rd or 4th October while the return leg match would be played in Harare a fortnight later,” added Savic .

ZIFA spokesperson Xolisani Gwesela said they have confirmed their participation to FIFA in the last round of the qualifiers against Cameroon.

“We have confirmed that we are going to participate. As ZIFA we are pleased, we take this opportunity to empower the girl child.

“It’s an opportunity we have grabbed with both hands but as you are aware we are grappling with financial challenges.

“Football cannot survive without sponsorship, we will approach relevant stakeholders such as Government,” said Gwesela.

Although the national football association have committed themselves to competing in the last round, one wonders how will they will be able to send a team to Cameroon when the Mighty Warriors could not travel to Cote d’Ivoire due to financial constraints last month.

In July they failed to raise money for the team’s trip to Zambia, only to be rescued at the last minute by Prophet Walter Magaya’s PHD Ministries.

Related Posts

‘We’ll tackle Zim challenges head-on . . . ’Govt adjusts to needs of times: President

Wallace Ruzvidzo Herald Reporter THE Second Republic will confront, transparently and decisively, the challenges Zimbabweans face in the country’s next chapter of national development, President Mnangagwa has said. In a…

President arrives in Johannesburg for fourth Zim-SA BNC

Nduduzo Tshuma in JOHANNESBURG, South Africa PRESIDENT Mnangagwa arrived here yesterday ahead of today’s Heads of State Summit of the Fourth Session of the Zimbabwe-South Africa Bi-National Commission (BNC), the…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *