Byo-Esigodini blast victims DNA tests completed

Sikhumbuzo Moyo, [email protected]

THE National University of Science and Technology has completed DNA testing and positive identification of four passengers who were burnt beyond recognition when a Toyota Quantum they were travelling in exploded along the Bulawayo-Esigodini Road.

The tragic incident occurred at the 16km peg along the Bulawayo-Esigodini Road on April 17 when the South Africa-bound vehicle burst into flames in what authorities believe was caused by explosives hidden inside a spare wheel.

All the occupants died in the inferno, with 12 having been positively identified earlier while four required DNA testing due to the extent of the burns.

Nust head of the Applied Genetics Testing Centre, Professor Zephaniah Dlamini, said the tests were completed on Monday.

“Results were released on Monday, 11 May 2025,” said Prof Dlamini.

Matabeleland South Local Government Services director Mr Zacharia Jusa said the names of the identified victims would only be released after their families had been informed.

“Please check with me later as we cannot release names before the full process is completed,” said Mr Jusa.

Related Posts

PICTURE GALLERY: President Mnangagwa leaves for the Fourth Session of the South Africa–Zimbabwe Bi-National Commission

Zimpapers Reporter President Mnangagwa has left the country for Pretoria, South Africa, where he will tomorrow lead Zimbabwe’s delegation to the Fourth Session of the South Africa–Zimbabwe Bi-National Commission (BNC),…

PICTURE GALLERY: Zimbabwe-South Africa strengthen enduring bilateral relations

The Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Professor Amon Murwira, has described relations between Zimbabwe and South Africa as “excellent, solid and enduring”, anchored on the two countries’ shared…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *