Simba Dube Sports Reporter
THE Bulawayo Amateur Boxing Association (Baba) have put in motion a series of tournaments as part of a selection process for a provincial side that will represent the city at the Zimbabwe national Youth Games which are penciled for Mutare from 15 August to 23 August. All the provinces are expected to come up with a team of 20 boxers (10 males and 10 females) at the 13th edition of the annual games.
With only seven weeks before the games kick off, only seven pugilists have secured a place in the provincial team with the remaining 13 slots yet to be filled at upcoming selective events which will all be hosted at the traditional home of amateur boxing, Manor Hotel.
Bulawayo provincial coach Mike Foloma said the selection was an ongoing process and they would use various competitions in the city.
“The selection process is still on, and the criteria we are using in coming up with the team are different tournaments in the city,” said Foloma.
Bulawayo is considered a boxing powerhouse as it has came out tops when it hosted the games in 2013.
So far the seven selected pugilists include Divine Jiyane, Shadreck Machaya, Zibusiso Nyoni, Nyengezi Mbambo in the male category while Bridget Ncube, Karen Masiyabumbi, Princess Nkomo are the girls who made the grade.
The next selection tournament will be held on Saturday with different boxing clubs within the city expected to take part.
Baba vice-chairman Ezwell Ndlovu bemoaned lack of participation in the women’s section with few turning up for the selection events.
“The only problem we are having is that there are few girls in boxing. We encourage schools to embrace boxing and we intend to provide interested schools with coaches should they want to establish the sport just like Sikhulile High School,” said Ndlovu.



