Sports Reporter
CAPS United coach Mark Harrison says the Harare giants are still eyeing a top four finish this season despite making a slow start to the first half of the season.
Makepekepe, who are rebuilding after losing a number of key players in the last two seasons, have experienced mixed fortunes in this year’s campaign.
Harrison told The Herald that they have targeted a top four finish from the start of the season and, although they are behind their schedule, they are still looking to achieve their goal.
The league has taken an early mid-season break to pave way for national team assignments. Makepekepe are sitting seventh on the log standings with 20 points after 13 games.
“Generally it could take something above 60 points to win the league title and if it’s like that then we are a little bit behind schedule. So it’s going to be difficult for us to go for the title.
“But when I came here, the mandate wasn’t to win the title. We were talking about rebuilding and aiming a top four finish and nothing has really changed,” said Harrison.
“The side as you know was in a rebuilding process but then three-four months into the season we went through some storms. I am glad we are past that period.
“Once the dust is settled, we are looking to refocus in the second half of the season. I have a good squad, with youthful players. Rebuilding is a continuous process and we are looking to strengthen in the second half of the season.”
The Green Machine will face Harare City when the league programme resumes in just over two weeks’ time before engaging in back-to-back fixtures with log leaders Chicken Inn.
Harrison gave his players a short rest following last Sunday’s goalless draw with Flame Lily. Makepekepe are expected to report back for work tomorrow.
The Harare giants are set to lose roving wing-back Ronald Pfumbidzai who has signed for Danish outfit Hobro IK. But, besides Zambian Michael Mwenu, who is expected to come in as a natural replacement for Pfumbidzai, Harrison is also looking to strengthen his squad when the window opens next month.
“I have identified three or four players. It will not be right for me to reveal their names now but we are trying to address them and hopefully the process will be complete in the next few weeks,” said Harrison.
Harrison has also previously challenged his players to raise their game as the axe is looming on those deemed excess baggage.
“At the end of the day the window is coming. We are a big brand. We are coming out of a bad period but we do have ambitions. I am not saying we can fulfill our ambitions this season but we still want to strengthen them, we still want to improve.
“So everybody is fighting for their place. There can’t be any complacency in that area. Everybody is always up for grabs. Maybe some players will come and some may go. We got to wait and see. They’ve got to show me between now and the window that they are up for the fight for CAPS United.
“But I am not the kind who just signs players for the sake of signing. I don’t believe in a big squad, I usually like to keep it small and manageable,” said Harrison.



