Firms benefit from Dimaf

Noble Ncube
COMPANIES in Matabeleland have received the bulk of the money released under the Distressed Industries and Marginalised Areas Fund (Dimaf) with 17 firms in the region receiving 80 percent of the $11,4 million disbursed so far, CABS managing director, Mr Kevin Terry, said yesterday.

He said companies in Matabeleland received a total of more than $9 million from the fund meant to revive companies facing financial difficulties.

Dimaf was set up by Government and is administered by the financial institution.

In a response to questions from Chronicle after State Enterprises and Parastatals Minister Gorden Moyo accused the building society of delaying the disbursement of the money to save the city’s industries, Mr Terry said as of last Friday, applications for funding totalling more than $14 million had been approved, while more than $11 million had been disbursed.

Parties in mixed reactions over election dates

Chronicle Reporter

POLITICAL parties yesterday expressed mixed reactions over the proposed March 2013 harmonised election date with the MDC formations demanding more reforms before the holding of the polls.

PM loses court bid in maintenance case

Harare Bureau
PRIME Minister Morgan Tsvangirai yesterday lost a bid to have the $15 000 maintenance claim by his wife Ms Locardia Karimatsenga struck off the roll.

Harare Civil Court magistrate Mr Reuben Mukavhi ruled that the application was properly before the courts and that the hearing should be held.

PM Tsvangirai had argued that the application did not comply with the provisions of the Maintenance Act.

The premier’s lawyer Advocate Thabani Mpofu said the claim could have been brought up through summons and not a court application.

He also argued that service of the court papers was not done properly.

Adv Mpofu raised the objection just before the maintenance inquiry but Mr Mukavhi ruled against him.

Libyan behind Gaddafi capture dies in France

One of the young Libyan rebels credited with capturing Muammar Gaddafi in a drainage ditch nearly a year ago has died of injuries after being kidnapped, beaten and slashed by the slain leader’s supporters.

Ingwebu scales down operations

Mbongeni Ncube
A shortage of opaque beer packaged in TetraPak (shake shake) is looming as Bulawayo brewer Ingwebu Breweries has scaled down production due to a shortage of packaging material.

Hundreds of civil servants duped

Midlands Correspondent
HUNDREDS of civil servants in the Midlands, most of them teachers, were allegedly duped of their cash by a housing trust

Gunners boss turns boxer as team falls

Harare Bureau
Gunners..(1) 1
FC Platinum..(3) 3
FANS who came to Lafarge for a football match were instead treated to a rare boxing bout at half time when former Gunners team manager Wellington Mupandare and the new Gunners chairman Stanely Makombe exchanged blows.

China accuses Japan of ‘severe infringement’

China has accused Japan of a “severe infringement” on its sovereignty in talks at the United Nations between their foreign ministers over a territorial row.

Caps win again

Harare Bureau
CAPS United..(0)2
Blue Rangers..0
SHINGI KAWONDERA finally ended his Caps United goal duck as the veteran forward struck his first goal in the domestic Premiership at the National Sports Stadium yesterday.

‘Africa must have permanent UN seats’

LUSAKA — Zambian President Michael Sata has demanded Africa must have permanent seats on the United Nations (UN) Security Council, staterun news agency reported on Tuesday.