Paris wary of terror attacks

PARIS. — Despite putting unprecedented security measures in place for Euro 2016, France remains deeply concerned over the jihadists’ ability to strike a soft target.

Millions of foreign visitors, holidaymakers and sporting fans as well as the world’s press are set to descend on the country in the next month — creating endless nightmares for its overstretched security services.

“From the point of view of preparation, we have done as much as possible. Everyone has been mobilised: police, paramilitaries, many soldiers,” a senior counter-terrorism official said, on condition of anonymity.

But, he said, “to be totally honest, I’m worried.” President Francois Hollande acknowledged the threat on Sunday, though he tried to put a brave face on it.

“This threat will last for a long time, unfortunately, so we must do everything to ensure that the Euro 2016 is a success,” he told France Inter radio.

Hollande’s government introduced a state of emergency in the wake of last year’s jihadist attacks in Paris, allowing police to raid homes and place people under house arrest with minimal oversight. — AFP.

Related Posts

Zim, SA ties hit new highs

Nduduzo Tshuma in JOHANNESBURG, South Africa ZIMBABWE’S economic resurgence and growing appeal as a safe investment destination, driven by policy reforms under President Mnangagwa, took centre stage at the Zimbabwe-South…

.Zim, S.A ink 6 agreements at Fourth BNC

Nduduzo Tshuma in PRETORIA, South Africa ZIMBABWE and South Africa yesterday signed six agreements to deepen cooperation across key sectors, reaffirming their commitment to translating the two countries’ historic bonds…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *