Zambia opposition leader to challenge Hichilema election victory in court

Zambian opposition leader ⁠Brian Mundubile says he will challenge the country’s presidential election result in ⁠court, alleging voting fraud in the contest that handed President Hakainde Hichilema a second term in office.

“Our campaign has documented serious irregularities, inconsistencies and circumstances surrounding ‌the conduct, counting, transmission and declaration of results,” Mundubile said in a statement on Wednesday.

While last week’s vote was largely peaceful, the opposition said intimidation and restrictions marred its campaign, concerns echoed by international election observers.

The election commission declared Hichilema the winner with about 60 percent of ⁠votes in the early morning ⁠Tuesday, compared with 38 percent for Mundubile.

After a relatively quiet run-up to the August 13 election in the nation of 22 million people, tensions escalated rapidly after ⁠the polls closed.

The authorities ⁠arrested 11 people, including leading opposition figures in a raid that involved an exchange of gunfire while Mundubile was present.

The ‌electoral commission also suspended vote-counting for hours due to reports of violence against polling staff ‌and ballot paper theft.

United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said on Wednesday that he was concerned over the arrest of the opposition officials.

All arrests “must be fully consistent with international human rights standards, as well as Zambian domestic law”, Turk said in a statement.

Hichilema entered the race as the clear favourite after steering Zambia through a major economic turnaround and restructuring its debt.

But his first term was also marked by concerns over Zambia’s political space, with opposition parties and civil society groups accusing his government of curbing dissent.

The incumbent leader’s second term will be shaped by demands for stronger accountability, national unity and broader benefits from economic growth.

Hichilema is due to be sworn in within seven days of the commission publishing the official results, due by August 24, but the planned challenge by the opposition could delay the process. — Reuters and The Associated Press

Related Posts

World rallies behind Zimbabwe after Lake Kariba disaster

  Africa Moyo [email protected] PALESTINIAN President Mahmoud Abbas has conveyed his condolences to President Mnangagwa and the people of Zimbabwe following the Mbuya Nehanda ferry disaster on Lake Kariba, which…

Matabeleland South Agricultural Show opens with call for farmer partnerships

Sukulwenkosi Dube-Matutu [email protected] THE 68th edition of the annual Matabeleland South Agricultural Show opened in Gwanda on Thursday, with farmers being encouraged to harness partnerships, innovation and market opportunities to…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *