Bulawayo home seekers sing the blues as serial fraudster, Elliot Mharadze, cons them out of millions of Rand

Trish Mukwazo, [email protected]

THE trial of a suspected serial housing fraudster who had been on the run for five years after allegedly defrauding victims of more than US$100 000, R1 million and ZWG13 700 under the pretext of building them houses kicked off yesterday with one witness taking the stand.

Elliot Mharadze (42) of Bulawayo is facing multiple counts of fraud, emanating from a botched housing scheme.

He is facing 43 counts of fraud but is presently being charged with nine, as the State is failing to secure witnesses, who are believed to be outside the country.

Bulawayo Regional magistrate, Ms Benhilda Chiwundura, remanded Mharadze in custody to November 28.

Mharadze allegedly duped his victims using the same modus operandi, where he would trick them into believing that he was a registered land developer and also owned houses.

Prosecuting, Ms Siphiwe Mhlanga said Ms Phepelaphi Dube, a witness, paid for a two-roomed semi-finished house in Pumula South suburb, Bulawayo, which belonged to someone else.

She said Ms Dube paid US$10 205 and was issued a receipt. After 21 days, Ms Dube made a follow-up and found that someone else was in occupation of the house and made a report to the police.

Another victim, Ms Mumo Ncube, approached Mharadze intending to buy a two-roomed house in Pelandaba West.

She was instructed to pay ZWL9 300 and R50 000 over 18 months in instalments. The court heard that Mharadze did not build the house for the victim as agreed.

She said sometime in August 2018, another victim, Ms Tackler Gumbo, who is based in South Africa, came to Zimbabwe intending to purchase a residential stand and approached Mharadze on August 23, 2018.

“She later discovered that the stand belonged to someone else registered with the City of Bulawayo. The victim suffered an actual prejudice of R160 000 and nothing was recovered,” she said.

Tafara Dube, who works in South Africa, also fell victim after approaching Mharadze on November 21, 2018, looking for a house to buy.

“Three years later, the victim was advised by his tenants that someone was claiming ownership of the house prompting him to report a case of fraud to the police. During investigations, it was discovered that the house belonged to someone else. The victim suffered an actual prejudice of R205 000 and nothing was recovered,” said Ms Mhlanga.

The court heard that sometime in 2018 another victim was scammed of US$13 000 and nothing was recovered.

Related Posts

Somvubu Merit Awards success impresses local councilor…..pledges more boreholes for local areas for improved access to water for learners

Obey Sibanda INYATHI Ward 8 Councillor Ignatious Khabo is redoubling his efforts to accelerate develoment projects in the area following the outstanding performance of Somvubu High School – the 2026…

DStv expands children’s programming as schools break for August holidays

Mbulelo Mpofu [email protected] ZIMBABWEAN schools breaking for the August holidays this week, DStv Zimbabwe has refreshed its children’s programming schedule with a range of new and returning animated series aimed…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

×