Menezes closes on ideal Brazil team

Brazil coach Mano Menezes is finally close to finding his ideal team, two years after disbanding predecessor Dunga’s unpopular counter-attacking outfit and starting from scratch.
Brazil’s 6-0 thumping of Iraq followed by Tuesday’s 4-0 win over Japan have convinced Menezes that he is on the right track as he builds a side capable of not only winning the 2014 World Cup but doing so in a style home fans are demanding.

Police officer stabbed, stoned to death

Marvelous Moyo in Gwanda
A policeman based in Gwanda was on Monday night stabbed and stoned to death by an illegal gold panner  commonly known as otsheketsha or omakorokoza.
The incident happened at Phakama Shopping Centre and the policeman has been identified as Constable Blessing Maminimini aged 30.

Asiagate to hit top clubs most

Sikhumbuzo Moyo

CASTLE Lager Premier Soccer League log leaders and defending champions Dynamos, Caps United and FC Platinum will be the hardest hit clubs if Zifa endorses its Independent Ethics Committee’s recommendations on sanctions to be imposed on Asiagate-tainted players.

Family expresses concern over relative’s safety

Chronicle Reporter The family of Bulawayo teacher and MDC activist, Sindiso Msipha has voiced deep concerns for his safety after he reportedly vanished under unclear circumstances, following a series of…

By-elections for vacant seats to be held in March: Court

Harare Bureau
PRESIDENT Mugabe’s application for by-elections in all vacant seats in the House of Assembly, Senate and local authorities countrywide to be held in March next year has been granted.
High Court Judge President George Chiweshe yesterday granted the application by the President to extend the deadline for the gazetting of the election dates and the conducting of election to March next year.

P-Square impressed by local talent

Entertainment Correspondent

HIGH flying Nigerian twin-set P-Square who were in the country over the weekend said they were impressed by talent shown by the local acts at the recently held Lion Lager Summer Festival.

The duo made up of Paul and Peter Okoye who put up a feisty performance at the Glamis Arena in Harare, said they were shocked to see that Zimbabwe had such a number of talented musicians who were so greatly appreciated by their fans.

UN envoy to Syria urges temporary ceasefire

The UN-Arab League envoy for Syria has called for a ceasefire during the upcoming Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, as the revolt against the Syrian government enters its 20th month with a death toll of more than 33 000.

Lakhdar Brahimi made his call on Monday as he shuttled between Syria’s neighbours, which have been divided by the conflict.

Zifa committed to clean football: Dube

Harare Bureau

Zifa president, Cuthbert Dube, said his association will not budge an inch in their fight against corruption and remained committed to cleaning the domestic Premiership and the lower divisions.

The Zifa boss, welcoming the completion of the report into the Asiagate matchfixing scandals, said they were also ready for the battles that might rise from the contents of the report as they felt that their Independent Ethics Committee had done a thorough job.

Journalists want Sadc to set regional minimum wage

Michael Chideme recently in  Windhoek, Namibia
Southern African journalists want Sadc to set a regional minimum wage for scribes to stop organisations from paying paltry salaries.
There has been widespread concern that regional governments do not create strict conditions for international media companies and also fail to impose local ethical guidelines in these conglomerates to ensure safety for journalists.

Clinton takes responsibility for Libya attack

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said she assumes responsibility for last month’s deadly attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, which has become an issue in the hard-fought US presidential campaign.

“I take responsibility” for what happened on 11 September, Clinton said on Monday in an interview with CNN during a visit to Peru, adding that President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden would not be responsible for specific security instructions for US diplomatic facilities.