Ex-Wallabies coach Cheika returns

Former Australia coach Michael Cheika will take over at the Waratahs for the 2027 Super Rugby season, the team said Wednesday.

Cheika previously coached the Waratahs to their first Super Rugby title in 2014 before moving into international rugby with the Wallabies from 2014 until 2019.

The 59-year-old was most recently coach of the Leicester Tigers, and held the Argentina job in 2022-2023.

“The Waratahs have always occupied a special place for me,” Cheika said.

“It’s my home state and I feel ready to return as their head coach ahead of an important year for the Waratahs and also for Australian rugby in the lead up to the home Rugby World Cup.

“Being involved in the NSW squad that lifted the Super Rugby trophy in 2014 is something I will never forget, especially the passion and energy of our supporters.

“This is a new time, a different time and I am looking forward to being able to enjoy those same kinds of feelings and more with players, their families and all the fans in this new adventure.”

Cheika said he wanted to make the Waratahs “a great place to play footy”.

The Waratahs said Cheika had signed for the 2027 season with an option for 2028.

Cheika replaces Dan McKellar, who stood down in June. The Waratahs finished eighth and missed the playoffs in the 2026 campaign.

Meanwhile, Star Wallabies centres Len Ikitau and Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii were named Wednesday in coach Les Kiss’s squad for the two-test tour of Argentina after injury. Ikitau missed wins over Japan in Osaka and Townsville this month because of an ankle injury while Suaalii had a hamstring issue and missed the second game.

“As coaches we’ve looked to maintain consistency in selection with the bulk of this squad having laid a solid foundation over the past few weeks, through their hard work and connection on and off the field,” new coach Kiss said.

“Touring Argentina presents another tough challenge for us as a new group and it’s one that we know will require us to go to another level as we continue to look to build and develop our game.”

Kiss elected to leave fullback Jock Campbell out of the squad, meaning only one out-and-out fullback option is retained in Tom Wright.

Campbell wasn’t used for the tests against Japan but is widely considered one of Australia’s most talented outside backs. Wright is expected to win his 50th cap during the tests on August 29 and September 5.

Lock Miles Amatosero was not considered for selection due to suspension. With Australia hosting the World Cup late next year, Kiss started his reign with a 35-32 win in Japan followed by a 56-17 demolition at home.  SuperSport

Related Posts

RELIEF FOR CHIEF MURINYE AS COURT DISMISSES EXTORTION CHARGES IN CASE RELATED TO RIVERTON ACADEMY. . . Court dismisses claims the chief allegedly demanded free education for his kids at Riverton Academy INDEFINITELY. . . The allegations, which were dismissed, claimed the chief also wanted a guarantee for free education for his unborn kids . . .Court dismisses claims the chief also demanded that the Riverton Academy owner should electrify his entire homestead

Zvikomborero Parafini MASVINGO traditional leader Chief Murinye has been acquitted of extortion charges which, among other things, included claims that he demanded free education for his children at Riverton Academy…

Tragic argument over cigarette results in loss of life

Arron Nyamayaro A 32-year-old nurse was on Tuesday stabbed to death by his brother after a row over a cigarette. The incident happened in Chitungwiza. Tatenda Mupanduki, a nurse at…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *