Fire guts Nash Paints Plant. . . Firm suffers over US$1.3m losses

Latwell Nyangu

NASH Paints Holdings suffered a loss of over US$1.3 million worth of raw materials and plant equipment destroyed during an inferno.

The fire incident occurred on Thursday morning at around 3am in Graniteside.

The paint manufacturing and distribution firm’s executive chairman, Tinashe Mutarisi, said he was called by the Safeguard security personnel after fire alarms were triggered.

“We got the call from the Safeguard personnel after fire alarms went off and we had to call the Fire Brigade, who responded swiftly.

“They managed to deal with the fire.

“We could have lost a lot of property and I really want to thank them for putting the fire under control.”

He said the losses were in raw materials and equipment.

Part of the damaged plant

“We lost over US$1.1million in raw materials and a US$200k section of the US$3 million plant, which was commissioned in 2016.

“It’s a big loss but it could have been worse and this comes after we commissioned a US$1 million plant that was added last year,” said Mutarisi.

He said that their insurer THI was assessing the damage.

“The plant is insured with THI and they are making some progress in their assessments so that we get back on our feet.

“We have clients to serve and a duty to play in building this economy, so we can’t afford to count our losses for a long time. 

“By Monday or Tuesday next week, we should be back to our winning ways

 “We had no injuries apart from losing the raw materials. No one was on night duty, otherwise it could have been bad,” said Mutarisi. 

Nash Paints Chief Operations Officer, Angeline Kasaira, urged their clients not to panic.

“It’s a major setback but we are working on a back-up plan to ensure that production resumes soon. We have incurred some losses but we are acting on good faith to get production running as soon as possible.”

Related Posts

RELIEF FOR CHIEF MURINYE AS COURT DISMISSES EXTORTION CHARGES IN CASE RELATED TO RIVERTON ACADEMY. . . Court dismisses claims the chief allegedly demanded free education for his kids at Riverton Academy INDEFINITELY. . . The allegations, which were dismissed, claimed the chief also wanted a guarantee for free education for his unborn kids . . .Court dismisses claims the chief also demanded that the Riverton Academy owner should electrify his entire homestead

Zvikomborero Parafini MASVINGO traditional leader Chief Murinye has been acquitted of extortion charges which, among other things, included claims that he demanded free education for his children at Riverton Academy…

Tragic argument over cigarette results in loss of life

Arron Nyamayaro A 32-year-old nurse was on Tuesday stabbed to death by his brother after a row over a cigarette. The incident happened in Chitungwiza. Tatenda Mupanduki, a nurse at…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *