‘UZ FEES STRUCTURE RESEMBLES A TUCKSHOP’

Paidamoyo Bore

THE University of Zimbabwe students got a sigh of relief after the High Court set aside the fees increased by the institution for undergraduate and post graduate studies.

High Court Judge, Justice Tawanda Chitapi, has ordered that the fees increase, effected by the University of Zimbabwe, be set aside.

The Judge further ordered the institution to pay the costs of the application incurred during the process.

“The first respondent (UZ Vice Chancellor Paul Mapfumo) was quite expected to be guided by the University Act which is clear on what powers he has as well as the powers of the Council and Senate.

“It was quite astonishing that even the issue of payment of the increased fees was reduced to a tuck shop operation where discounts were given to students depending on the percentage of the total fees due if paid by a given date,” said the Judge.

In a notice dated September 1, 2022, the institution stated that those who were to pay 100 percent of their fees by the 31st of October 2022 were to enjoy a 12.5 percent discount.

“Those who pay 75 percent of their fees by 31 of October will enjoy a 10 percent discount while those that pay 50 percent will enjoy a 5 percent discount,” read the notice.

The Judge, however, said the Vice Chancellor and the institution should revisit the issue of fees revision.

“It is still open to the first and second respondents to revisit the issue of fees revision and act in terms of the law,” said Judge Chitapi.

Sometime in September last year, the students filed an urgent chamber application seeking an order reversing the staggering 700 percent fees hike.

The fees structure required undergraduate students to pay $500 000 while Masters students were required to pay a million for each semester.

The students were represented by the institution’s Students Representative Council — Narshon Kohlo, Paidamoyo Mafusire and Ethel Museswa.

In their application the students said the raising of fees by the institution was unreasonable and irrational since the government had allocated $3.3 billion in the National Budget approved by the Parliament.

The students submitted to the court that they could not afford the fees since most of them come from poor backgrounds.

Related Posts

RELIEF FOR CHIEF MURINYE AS COURT DISMISSES EXTORTION CHARGES IN CASE RELATED TO RIVERTON ACADEMY. . . Court dismisses claims the chief allegedly demanded free education for his kids at Riverton Academy INDEFINITELY. . . The allegations, which were dismissed, claimed the chief also wanted a guarantee for free education for his unborn kids . . .Court dismisses claims the chief also demanded that the Riverton Academy owner should electrify his entire homestead

Zvikomborero Parafini MASVINGO traditional leader Chief Murinye has been acquitted of extortion charges which, among other things, included claims that he demanded free education for his children at Riverton Academy…

Tragic argument over cigarette results in loss of life

Arron Nyamayaro A 32-year-old nurse was on Tuesday stabbed to death by his brother after a row over a cigarette. The incident happened in Chitungwiza. Tatenda Mupanduki, a nurse at…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *