Hippo Valley leans on domestic market

Nqobile Bhebhe

Zimpapers Business Hub

HIPPO Valley Estates says the domestic market remains the cornerstone of its business, accounting for 93 percent of total sales volumes in the first quarter to June 30, 2026, as export volumes came under pressure from trade restrictions and weaker global sugar prices.

The Zimbabwe Stock Exchange-listed sugar producer said local sales volumes grew by 8 percent compared to the prior year, underpinned by targeted commercial initiatives and growing momentum for its Huletts SunSweet brand.

“The local market remained the cornerstone of the business, contributing 93 percent of total sales volumes and recording an 8 percent increase compared to the prior year.

‘This growth was driven by targeted commercial initiatives that strengthened the Company’s leadership position in the domestic market, with the Huletts SunSweet brand continuing to gain momentum.”

However, Hippo Valley said imported, down-packed and counterfeit sugar products, alongside subdued consumer spending in some retail segments, continued to weigh on the market.

“However, imported, down-packed and counterfeit sugar products, together with reduced consumer spending in certain retail segments, continue to present challenges.”

On the export front, volumes were below expectations, with trade restrictions affecting shipments previously destined for Kenya, while export programmes also commenced later than anticipated.

“While export markets remain strategically important for inventory management and foreign currency generation, the business continues to prioritise the domestic market, particularly in light of declining global sugar prices.

“Management remains focused on expanding opportunities within regional export markets while closely monitoring developments in global sugar markets and logistics to improve future performance.”

The contrasting performance between domestic and export markets indicates the importance of Zimbabwe’s consumer market to Hippo Valley, particularly as international sugar prices weaken.

Although export markets provide an avenue for foreign currency generation and inventory management, the company said protecting the more lucrative domestic market remained a priority.

Operationally, the firm said the first quarter was challenging, with disruptions caused by rains at the beginning of the crushing season affecting cane deliveries and the harvesting programme.

“Our first quarter performance trailed against the prior year, with cane deliveries from own plantations and private farmers both declining by 25 percent, primarily due to disruptions caused by rains at the start of the crushing season, which reduced field accessibility and affected the planned harvesting programme.”

The decline in cane supply translated into a 21 percent fall in sugar production compared with the prior year, reflecting the late start to crushing, periods of plant downtime and reduced throughput.

“Consistent with cane supply, sugar production fell by 21 percent from the prior year, reflecting the late start, periods of plant downtime and reduced throughput. Despite the slow start, management remains confident that cane deliveries will recover without further disruptions.

“This confidence is supported by a robust cane supply system, capable of meeting peak harvesting demands and improved factory reliability.”

Hippo Valley said it would continue concentrating on reducing harvesting interruptions and mill stoppages caused by cane shortages.

“Management will continue to focus on the key drivers of operational success, reducing the risk of harvesting interruptions and minimising mill stoppages arising from cane shortages.

‘Furthermore, the off-crop annual maintenance programme was completed before the start of the season, providing confidence in plant reliability. Critical spares and essential components remain available to support sustained production and minimise the risk of extended equipment outages.”

Despite lower volumes, revenue remained flat at US$51,8 million, with a favourable product mix offsetting the decline in sales volumes.

“Revenue for the quarter remained consistent with the prior year at US$51,8 million. Although sales volumes declined during the period, this was largely offset by a more favourable product mix.”

Hippo Valley said it expected operations to improve as the crushing season progresses, with the company targeting optimal utilisation of available cane and improved factory performance.

“Our performance is expected to reach optimal capacity with all available cane for crushing converted into sugar, supported by reliable plant operations, a consistent cane haulage system, improved operational efficiencies, and ongoing cost management initiatives.”

“Exchange rate stability is expected to continue, providing greater predictability for import costs and financial planning.”

Weather remains another key risk to the sugar industry, with Hippo Valley closely monitoring forecasts for El Niño-related conditions that could result in below-average rainfall and higher temperatures.

For a business dependent on reliable cane supply and favourable growing conditions, weather patterns will remain critical to production volumes, cane yields and ultimately earnings.

The company said sustainability would increasingly form part of its long-term strategy as it seeks to build resilience against operational, environmental and market risks.

“Continued investment in sustainability initiatives will focus on strengthening operational and commercial resilience, improving environmental performance, supporting employees and communities and enhancing governance practices in order to realise sustainable economic returns for stakeholders.”

Related Posts

President in SA for 46th SADC Summit

Kudakwashe Mugari in DURBAN, South Africa PRESIDENT Mnangagwa arrived here yesterday to attend the 46th Ordinary Summit of SADC Heads of State and Government which is being held today at…

Govt intensifies Kariba ferry disaster probe

Freeman Razemba and Walter Nyamukondiwa THE death toll from the Lake Kariba ferry disaster has risen to 84, with Government intensifying an investigation into how the passenger vessel capsized under…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

×