Freeman Razemba
Senior Reporter
Ninety five people have so far been confirmed dead after a passenger ferry capsized on Lake Kariba, leaving dozens injured and others still missing.
The capsized ferry, which reportedly carried passengers and goods and went down after being struck by strong waves, has prompted a national response, including ongoing search, rescue and recovery operations on the lake.
The Government has also intensified efforts to support affected families and address the circumstances surrounding the disaster.
Formal investigations are underway, with authorities examining key operational and compliance issues.
President Mnangagwa has since declared the accident a State of Disaster, enabling the Government to mobilise disaster response structures to provide urgent assistance, including funeral services and medical and psycho-social support for those affected by the trauma.
In a statement national police spokesperson Commissioner Paul Nyathi confirmed and released 10 more names of the victims.
“Reference is made to the Zimbabwe Republic Police press statement released on August 18, 2026 on the names of victims who perished in the Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA) boat accident. The Zimbabwe Republic Police releases the names of 10 more victims, bringing the total number of victims identified by their next of kin to 93. The death toll has risen to 95,” he said.
The 10 are Vimbai Magiri (36), a female adult of Zvamoyo Village, Chief Mola, Kariba. Lina Mutale (6), a female juvenile of JSV Number 03, Padenga Holdings, Kariba, Muchengati Siamavu (25), a female adult of Mujokeri Village, Chief Mola, Siakobvu, Linah Siamandoga (8), a female juvenile of Siakanoka Village, Chief Mola, Siakobvu, Princess Mberikwenyanga (23), a female adult of D30 Shabanie, Mahombekombe, Kariba, Erina Machongwe (26), a female adult of 23272 Rusununguko Extension, Chinhoyi, Felistus Nzerombairi (10), a female juvenile of 1172
Nyamhunga 2, Kariba, Leeny Kasinahama (16), a female juvenile of Mola Primary School, Chief Mola, Siakobvu, A Yolanda Prisca Chipunza (9), a female juvenile of 220 Nyamhunga 1, Kariba, and Brace Shambo (2), a male juvenile of Siakanoka Village, Chief Mola, Siakobvu.
“Two victims are yet to be identified and the Zimbabwe Republic Police continues to work closely with the affected families and relevant stakeholders in the ongoing identification and recovery efforts,” Comm Nyathi said.
Meanwhile, recovery operations continue to involve multiple agencies working together, including Civil Protection teams and specialised units, as authorities intensify their efforts to locate missing persons and recover more bodies.



