Ramaphosa rejects deadline

JOHANNESBURG. South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has dismissed an ultimatum by anti-illegal immigration groups demanding that undocumented foreigners leave the country by June 30, warning that the government will not tolerate attempts to create instability.

Speaking on the sidelines of Youth Day commemorations at Nasrec last week, Mr Ramaphosa said government was already implementing measures to address immigration challenges.

The deadline was set by anti-illegal immigration organisations, including the March and March movement, which has called for undocumented foreign nationals to leave South Africa by June 30 and warned of further action should its demands not be met.

Government has, however, distanced itself from the ultimatum, maintaining that immigration enforcement remains the responsibility of the state.

”The so-called 30th of June, in my view, is not an event that is even necessary because we are addressing the challenges that our people are facing,” Mr Ramaphosa said.

He said the measures announced by government had largely been welcomed by South Africans as important and immediately effective steps.

Mr Ramaphosa urged citizens not to take the law into their own hands.   rt.com.

Related Posts

Kunzvi Dam pipeline progress raises hope for Harare

Diana Nherera Herald Reporter HARARE East and the northern parts of the capital are expected to be among the first areas to benefit from the Kunzvi Dam project, Ward 9…

Kariba boat tragedy death toll rises to 93 as police name 39 victims

Ivan Zhakata Herald Correspondent THE death toll from the Kariba Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA) boat disaster has risen to 93, with police releasing the names of 39 more victims…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *