Danisa Masuku [email protected]
VICTIMS of a robbery spree that allegedly targeted homes in Bulawayo’s Old Luveve, Nkulumane, Cowdray Park and Mahatshula suburbs told the court yesterday that they could not identify the faces of the armed men because they were terrorised, assaulted and had their faces concealed.
The witnesses were giving evidence during the trial of Joseph Phiri, Trust Adam Mubvumbi, Challenge Neta and Wellington Nyakurima Phiri, who are facing seven counts of armed robbery.
The four men, who are represented by Mr Simbarashe Innocent Madzivire of Mashayamombe Law Firm, have pleaded not guilty to all the charges.
The trial heard that the alleged robbers used machetes and other weapons to intimidate their victims, with some witnesses saying they were assaulted when they attempted to look at their attackers.
Ms Mary Moyo told the court that she became too frightened to properly observe the robbers after they threatened her with a machete and demanded money.
Another complainant, Mr Delen Kanengoni, said he was attacked with a machete and ordered to lie face down.
“When I tried to look at one of the faces of the accused, one of the accused slapped me on the face and ordered me not to scream. Due to that, I could not identify their faces and I cannot remember the colour of clothes that they were wearing,” he said.
Mr Tanyaradzwa Moyo also told the court that the alleged robbers had concealed their identities.
“One of the accused was wearing a balaclava while the other ones had covered their faces with hats,” he said.
Prosecuting, Ms Christina Manyika said the accused persons allegedly went on a robbery spree in December last year, targeting several households in a single night.
The State alleges that on December 15, shortly before 1AM, the four men, together with accomplices identified only as Gift, Paulos and Mehluli, targeted a family home in Nkulumane suburb.
“They were armed with a pistol, an iron rod and a machete. They scaled over the precast wall and entered the yard. They smashed a window and got inside before demanding cash from the complainant. They took US$317 and four cellphones before leaving,” said Ms Manyika.
The group allegedly proceeded to Cowdray Park, where they targeted the home of a 54-year-old woman.
“They scaled over the precast wall and entered the yard before breaking down the main door. They found the woman asleep, woke her up and demanded cash. She gave them US$203 and cellphones before they left,” said Ms Manyika.
The court heard that the gang then allegedly broke into another Cowdray Park home, where they found a 28-year-old man asleep.
“They found the gate unlocked and entered. They broke a door and entered the kitchen, then headed to a bedroom where a 28-year-old man was sleeping. They woke him up and demanded cash,” said Ms Manyika.
The accused allegedly took US$1 805 that had been kept inside a wardrobe before fleeing.
Five days later, the gang allegedly resumed its activities in Old Luveve.
According to the State, they arrived shortly after midnight and knocked on the bedroom window of a 28-year-old man.
“He opened the door and they entered. They demanded cash, punched and strangled him. He surrendered US$26 and two cellphones before they left,” said Ms Manyika.
On the same night, the accused allegedly broke into another Old Luveve home and confronted a 47-year-old pastor.
They demanded cash while threatening to kill him. Out of fear, the clergyman gave them US$420 and R500. They fled into the darkness.
Later, at about 1.30AM, the accused allegedly robbed another man after ransacking his house and taking US$13 and R100.
The State further alleges that the gang proceeded to a tuck shop where they stole US$1 000 and R15 000.
The alleged robbery spree ended with another break-in at an Old Luveve home, where the accused allegedly stole US$9 100 before fleeing.
The incidents were reported to the police, leading to investigations and the subsequent arrest of the four accused.
The matter was postponed to August 24 for continuation of trial.



