US$120 000 rhino poachers’ trial further postponed

Thupeyo Muleya Beitbridge Bureau 

[email protected] 

The trial of two men accused of hunting and killing a black rhinoceros worth US$120 000 in the Bubye Valley Conservancy, some 60km west of Beitbridge town has been further postponed to May 22 at the Beitbridge Magistrate’s Court. 

James Tapoka (27) and Spencer Mharadza (27) were arrested on March 29 this year and were charged for contravening a section of the Parks and Wildlife Act Chapter 20:14. 

Tapoka is from Chunyaura Village in Chivhu, Mashonaland East province while Mharadza is from Village 10 in Kadoma, Mashonaland West province. 

They are denying the charges and have been languishing in remand prison since their arrest.

 

Their other alleged accomplice Prince Mudenda, an ex Zimparks ranger, is already serving a nine-year jail term at the Beitbridge prison. 

Beitbridge resident magistrate Mr Takudzwa Gwazemba postponed the trial yesterday after Tapoka indicated he was unwell. 

Prosecuting, Mr Ronald Mugwagwa said on July 14 last year, acting in connivance with Mudenda, Greaters Nyoni and President Oswell Musekiwa who are both still at large, Tapoka went to Bubye Valley Conservancy through the eastern gate that was closed but not locked. 

He said whilst inside the conservancy Mudenda shot and killed a black rhinoceros using a rifle owned by Nyoni. 

Mudenda and Tapoka dehorned it using an axe.

They were then picked up by Nyoni and one Tedious Matimbira who had been hired to transport the accused persons using a grey  Toyota Wish. 

The court heard that the accused persons drove to Bulawayo where Nyoni and Matimbira further proceeded to Harare in a white BMW registration ADW4420 which belonged to the former.

They sold the rhino horns in Harare. 

The State alleged that a few days later Mudenda met Mharadza in Gweru who knew about the hunting and the selling of the horns, whom he gave US$520 to share with Musekiwa. 

Mr Mugwagwa said the offence was discovered by game scouts at Bubye Valley Conservancy and reported to the police who recovered one empty cartridge from the scene. 

Further allegations are that on March 26 detectives received information about Mudenda being at one of the houses in Bulawayo and they pounced on him. 

Investigations led to the arrest of the accused persons. –@tupeyo 

Related Posts

Bulawayo firms offer vocational training for returning Zimbabweans

Sikhumbuzo Moyo [email protected] TWO Bulawayo-based companies have offered to provide vocational training skills to returning Zimbabweans in response to Government’s calls for the public and private sector to provide a…

SA, Zim business leaders to meet in Midrand as Ramaphosa and Mnangagwa push trade ties

Thupeyo Muleya, Beitbridge Bureau   South Africa’s Department of Trade, Industry and Competition [the DTIC] will on Friday host a South Africa–Zimbabwe Business Forum in Midrand where both Presidents Cyril…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *