Zim to host continental Karate championships

Innocent Kurira

[email protected]

AT least 500 athletes are expected to attend the 2023 edition of the Africa Karate Federation (UFAK) Region South Karate Championships to be hosted by Zimbabwe next month.

The continental championships will run from June 8-11 at the Harare International Conference Centre’s (HICC) Exhibition Park.

Participants for the UFAK Region South Karate Championships will be drawn from countries which include Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia and the host nation, Zimbabwe. 

Joe Rugwete, the Zimbabwe National Karate Federation (ZNKF) president said preparations for the tournament were progressing well.

“For Southern Africa, this showcase has become an annual spectacle where hundreds of athletes, officials, parents, guragians and spectators gather to participate and watch our children, cadets, juniors, seniors as well as veterans competing. 

“The Africa Union Sports Council Region 5 Karate Federation always assists the hosts and as ZNKF we want to make this event successful,” said Rugwete.

Last year’s edition held in South Africa saw Zimbabwe sending a delegation of 13 athletes – 10 women and three men. They were accompanied by four officials – two referees, a coach and a team manager.

Zimbabwe managed to attain a total of six medals from the championships. 

Winston Nyanhete got the only gold medal with the rest of the bronze medals brought home by Nakai Mahachi, Tishana Sekerani, Getrude Matare, Ruvarashe Kasumba and Lovemore Mutume.

ZNKF was formed in 2021 for semi-contact members to comply with World Karate Federation (WKF) statutes that prohibit its affiliates from mixing semi-contact and full contact karate. — @innocentskizoe

Related Posts

Zimbabwe champions food security at SADc Summit

Kudakwashe Mugari in DURBAN, South Africa PRESIDENT Mnangagwa arrived in Durban, South Africa, yesterday ahead of today’s 46th Ordinary Summit of SADC Heads of State and Government, with Zimbabwe set…

Kariba ferry death toll rises to 84, as probe intensifies

Freeman Razemba and Walter Nyamukondiwa, Zimpapers Reporters THE death toll from the Lake Kariba ferry disaster rose to 84 yesterday, as Government intensified investigations into the RIDA-owned passenger vessel, with…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

×