Habitual armed robbers nabbed

Freeman Razemba Crime Reporter
A gang of 12 armed robbers released from prison recently, was on Thursday arrested in Norton and Zengeza following a spate of armed robberies committed countrywide. The syndicate has been terrorising people and targeting filling stations, mines, cash-in-transit vehicles and businesspeople. Police recovered seven guns including an AK 47 assault riffle — all believed to have been stolen, four machetes, work suits, four vehicles — an Isuzu KB twin cab truck, Toyota Hiace, Mercedes Benz and a Toyota Harrier that the gang was using during their operations.

The robbers have been identified as Simbarashe Tavengwa (37), Ngonidzashe Mutiba (36), Titus Chatukuta (43), Ray Changari (35), Tinashe Chikara (49), Tinashe Matinyanya (28), Khumbulani Ncube (35), Mgcini Ramachela (33), Charles Ndoro (53), Rodwell Mutinya (35), Takafa Vumbuni (33) and Wilson Kanetsa (33).

The suspects, who are still in custody as investigations continue, have so far helped police clear 11 armed robbery cases.

Most of these were committed in Harare, Chinhoyi, Gutu, Chiredzi, Kadoma, Bulawayo and Kwekwe.

Chief police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba, yesterday said the suspects were arrested by detectives from the CID Homicide section in Norton and Zengeza.

“They are still assisting police with investigations and they will appear in court soon.

“We would also want to appeal to members of the public who were robbed by these people to contact the police and assist with investigations,” she said.

Some of the offences committed by the gang included robbing various filling stations and an attempt to rob a Safeguard Security vehicle that was carrying gold in Banket.

The gang is alleged to have thrown spikes in front of the vehicle after waylaying it.

This resulted in an exchange of gunshots between the robbers and security guards, resulting in one of the armed robbers being shot near the left ear.

They, however, failed to steal the gold.

Snr Asst Comm Charamba said most of these suspects were released from prison between 2010 and 2012 after serving more than seven years each for armed robberies and carjacking.

In March, two suspected armed robbers who were part of an eight man gang, were shot dead during a shootout with the police in Kadoma.

Police recovered four pistols following the shooting incident, which are believed to have been used to commit robberies.

In November last year, police arrested eight robbers believed to have committed a spate of armed robberies in the city following a shootout in New Tafara, Harare.

Police recovered three guns, a pellet gun and 359 rounds of ammunition from the robbers who were identified as Ephraim Malcom Matiza (22), Benjamin Musasa (27), Roy Majunga (27), Taurai Fandai (24), Jonathan Muchemwa (31), Trust Misolo (27), Jonathan Mwale (30) and Mostapha Ngunda (36).

Related Posts

Zim, SA ties hit new highs

Nduduzo Tshuma in JOHANNESBURG, South Africa ZIMBABWE’S economic resurgence and growing appeal as a safe investment destination, driven by policy reforms under President Mnangagwa, took centre stage at the Zimbabwe-South…

.Zim, S.A ink 6 agreements at Fourth BNC

Nduduzo Tshuma in PRETORIA, South Africa ZIMBABWE and South Africa yesterday signed six agreements to deepen cooperation across key sectors, reaffirming their commitment to translating the two countries’ historic bonds…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *