Huawei to train 1 000 African students

Charles Ding (right) speaks during a panel discussion at the World Economic Forum on Africa in Cape Town, South Africa, last week
Charles Ding (right) speaks during a panel discussion at the World Economic Forum on Africa in Cape Town, South Africa, last week

 

By TechnoMag Staff

Zimbabwean students are set to benefit from a technical training program, Seeds for the Future, building ICT capabilities in Africa being sponsored by Huawei.

Huawei announced at the World Economic Forum on Africa 2015, which was held in South Africa recently, that it plans to train 1 000 students across Africa over the next five years,

Huawei’s senior vice president, Charles Ding, made the announcement during a panel discussion entitled ‘‘Africa Mobile Technology’’ at the World Economic Forum on Africa.

“Governments in Africa need to develop a vision of boosting connections. They need to invest or facilitate investments into national broadband plans and train technical talents, this will create jobs, boost economic growth and secure Africa’s future,” he said.

Globally, Huawei works with local governments and universities to send students overseas to provide work experience with the world’s best ICT equipment.

To date, over 10 000 students worldwide have been benefited from the ‘‘Seeds for the Future’’ programme. Over the next five years, more than 1 000 students from Africa will join from this ICT talent cultivation programme.

During the panel discussion, Charles Ding also called for collaboration to build a national broadband in Africa.

“Huawei has unique experience building some of the most innovative national broadband networks around the world. We believe that this experience can benefit countries in Africa.

“To build a better connected Africa, governments, the private sector, and all related stakeholders from the telecom ecosystem have to work together,” he said

Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. —  More indepth on TechnoMag

Related Posts

ConCERT to train Harare residents in basic first aid

Herald Reporter THE Convergence Community Emergency Response Team (ConCERT) will hold another community Basic First Aid Training programme in Harare on Saturday as the volunteer emergency response organisation steps up…

Man in court for smuggling dagga worth US$1,3 m into the country through Beitbridge

  Prosper Dembedza Online Correspondent A suspected drug dealer Moses Muzhambi has appeared in court after being caught with dagga worth US$1,313,000 smuggled across the border from South Africa. Muzhambi…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *