Zim anti-sanctions body condemns fresh US measures against Cuba

Ivan Zhakata

Herald Correspondent

THE Zimbabwe Anti-Sanctions Trust (ZAST) has condemned the latest sanctions imposed on Cuba by the United States and described the measures as illegal and detrimental to the welfare of ordinary citizens.

In a statement issued, the trust expressed solidarity with the people and Government of Cuba following the announcement of new unilateral coercive measures by the US on May 1 and May 7 this year.

It said the tightening of the economic, financial and commercial blockade against Cuba continued to undermine the country’s development and violate principles of international law.

“We strongly condemn the intensification of the economic, financial and commercial blockade against Cuba — actions that continue to inflict unnecessary suffering upon innocent civilians, undermine national development, and violate the fundamental principles of sovereign equality, non-interference, and peaceful coexistence among nations,” read the statement.

The trust said Zimbabwe understood the impact of sanctions owing to its own experience under Western-imposed sanctions.

“As a people who have endured the painful consequences of illegal sanctions, the people of Zimbabwe fully understand the devastating humanitarian, economic and social impact of externally imposed coercive measures,” read the statement.

ZAST said Zimbabwe stands firmly with Cuba in its pursuit of economic justice, sovereignty, dignity and self-determination.

The trust also criticised what it termed the weaponisation of economic power for political purposes and said such actions were contrary to the spirit of the United Nations Charter and international law.

“The Zimbabwe Anti-Sanctions Trust rejects the weaponisation of economic power as an instrument of political coercion,” reads the statement.

The organisation called on the international community, civil society organisations and progressive movements across the world to oppose the continued blockade against Cuba and all forms of unilateral sanctions imposed on sovereign nations.

The latest development comes amid renewed tensions between Washington and Havana following the announcement of additional restrictions by the US Government earlier this month.

Related Posts

Magistrate rejects US$1 796 maintenance claim as excessive

Sharon Jiyamwa Online Reporter A HARARE woman’s claim for US$1 796 in monthly maintenance for her three children was rejected by a magistrate today after the amount was deemed excessive.…

Parirenyatwa gains world-class maternity upgrades

Obey Musiwa Herald Reporter MBUYA Nehanda Maternity Ward at Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals is now matching world-class standards after undergoing extensive refurbishment under the Presidential Hospital Renovation Programme, which is…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *