Radio advert ends in US1 000 nightmare

Tendai Gukutikwa
Weekender Reporter
A NYANGA father and son have been branded conmen after allegedly pocketing more than US$1 000 from a villager for the supply and installation of ram pumps, but failed to complete the project.
The allegations surfaced recently at Chief Mutasa’s community court, where Fungai Sachipemba accused Peter Mashava and his son, Victor Mashava, of duping him after he responded to an advertisement promoting their services on a local community radio station.
Sachipemba said he invested heavily in the project after trusting the pair’s promises, only to be left without the ram pumps he had paid for.
According to Sachipemba, he approached the Mashavas in July last year after hearing Victor advertising ram pump installation services.
“On July 1, 2024, I went to seek their services, and they said they could do the job. They first requested US$40 for transport so they could assess the site,” he said.
After inspecting the site, the Mashavas allegedly agreed to install two ram pumps and two water storage drums for US$1 200.
“They came to my homestead, looked at the site, and said they would install two pumps and two drums. The total cost was US$1 200, including labour and materials,” said Sachipemba.
He said the two later informed him that they were finalising other projects and requested an advance payment to purchase materials.
“They said they were busy with other jobs and would attend to mine later. They asked me to pay a deposit so they could start buying the materials,” he said.
Sachipemba said he initially paid US$300 before selling a cow to raise an additional US$600 for the project.
Trouble allegedly started when Victor asked him to meet at a bus stop to hand over more money.
“The son later called me to a bus stop and told me to give him the money so he could pass it on to his father. We recorded the transaction and he promised they would start work that Saturday, but they never came,” he said.

Fungai Sachipemba
Fungai Sachipemba

When the agreed date passed, Sachipemba said he confronted Peter, who allegedly denied receiving the money.
“I followed them up after they failed to come. Peter said he had never received the money and accused his son of duping me,” he said.
Sachipemba said Peter later confronted Victor, but the younger Mashava allegedly walked away and left the complainant with his father.
“Peter then asked me to pay another US$400 so the work could continue, but I refused,” he said.
Frustrated, Sachipemba said he approached Victor directly, only to receive more empty promises.
“Victor assured me he would do the job. He acted as if he was ready to start immediately, but he never returned. I have not seen him since,” said Sachipemba.
He further alleged that Victor sold some of the project materials he had already purchased.
“He sold some of the pipes I had bought for the project, causing me a further loss of about US$100,” he claimed.
In his defence, Peter distanced himself from his son’s actions, saying Victor collected money from Sachipemba without his knowledge while he was preparing the equipment.
“My son is currently in hospital and has been there for three weeks. I admit that he collected the money behind my back. I had already made the ram pumps and was preparing to deliver them when he took the money and spent it,” said Peter.
He argued that Victor’s actions disrupted the project and left him unable to proceed with the installation.
“I needed that money to buy additional materials and complete the work. What he did destroyed everything I had been working on,” he said.
However, Chief Mutasa was unconvinced by the explanations, saying the circumstances pointed to a possible criminal offence rather than a simple civil dispute.
He described the allegations as fraudulent, and criticised attempts to use the community court to resolve a matter that could require police intervention.
“You and your son duped this man of more than US$1 000. This is a criminal matter,” said Chief Mutasa.
The chief ordered Peter to refund the US$300 he personally received from Sachipemba by August 20, while advising the complainant to report Victor to the police.
“By August 20, you must have refunded his US$300. As for Victor, the complainant should take the matter to the police,” ruled Chief Mutasa.

Related Posts

New radars to track climate-induced disasters

Ray Bande Senior Reporter THE Government has significantly strengthened disaster preparedness capacity through the procurement of radars, automatic weather observation systems and other modern forecasting equipment as part of a…

50 bogus estate agents target home buyers

Lovemore Kadzura Post Reporter A GROWING army of unregistered estate agents is preying on desperate home-seekers in Manicaland, leaving some unsuspecting buyers counting devastating losses after being duped out of…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *