‘CHENESA HARARE A FAILURE’

Tanaka Mahanya

A HARARE City Councillor has conceded that Operation Chenesa Harare has been a monumental failure.

Launched two months ago, the campaign was expected to deal with the refuse challenges choking the Harare streets.

But the campaign has not borne any fruits.

Speaking during a Council meeting yesterday, Councillor Stanley Manyenga said:

“In the last meeting, I talked about the same issue and requested that we put someone in charge so that we are able to track what is happening.

“If we start talking about the issue, there are complaints that the finance department does not release funds meant for the campaign.

“They are always playing the blame game.”

He said the Chenesa Harare campaign was an emergency initiative which had to deal with littering in the city.

“There is a dumpsite at paZindoga shops, as if there is no Councillor to report on the issue.

“We cannot even charge or send anyone home because no one is held responsible.

“We cannot tolerate meetings that do not bear fruit.

“There has to be a different approach to Chenesa if we want to move, so that we set a motion today to make someone answerable.

“Up to now, nothing has taken place,” he said.

Speaking at the same meeting, Councillor Denford Ngadziore said Council has engaged in many futile refuse collection meetings.

“Last year, we had three special meetings on refuse collection, and this year, we have already engaged in two.

“In Ward 16, we received five brooms for the whole ward with 17 000 households.

“We also got 30 brooms, and the fuel and money we expected did not come. Our priorities as Council are wrong,” he said.

Related Posts

Munhumutapa Cup Round of 16 draw held

Innocent Kurira [email protected] THE Munhumutapa Challenge Cup has reached the Round of 16 after the draw on Wednesday produced eight intriguing fixtures to look forward to as the inaugural tournament…

THREE ARMED ROBBERS JAILED FOR A COMBINED 70 YEARS IN KADOMA

Arron Nyamayaro THREE men have been convicted and sentenced to a combined 70 years in prison by the Kadoma Regional Magistrates’ Court. Misheck Mutetwa (30), Lordshare Chimanya (29) and Kudakwashe…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *