Kariba death toll hits 97 as ferry salvage begins

Walter Nyamukondiwa in Kariba

SEARCH and recovery teams yesterday retrieved two more bodies from Lake Kariba, bringing the confirmed death toll from the RIDA-owned Mbuya Nehanda ferry disaster to 97. The grim discovery came as salvage engineers commenced a complex operation to right the capsized vessel ahead of a comprehensive technical investigation into one of Zimbabwe’s worst maritime disasters.

The two bodies that of a woman and a young boy, were recovered drifting near Fothergill Island and towards King’s Camp, prompting a coordinated response by the Zimbabwe National Army, the Zimbabwe Republic Police sub-aqua unit and Lake Kariba harbourmaster Mr Lameck Chitenga.

While the latest recoveries brought the death toll in line with figures compiled from missing persons reports submitted by relatives, Mashonaland West provincial director for Local Government Services Mrs Cecilia Chitiyo said one body recovered on Tuesday, belonging to a woman believed to be in her 20s, had not yet been matched to any person reported missing.

“With the recovery of two bodies today (yesterday), we have reached the estimated number of bodies we are looking for based on relatives who came forward reporting missing persons. However, we have a body that was recovered on Tuesday of a woman in her 20s, which remains unclaimed. This means we still have one body missing from our list.”

Mrs Chitiyo said that should the unidentified woman be confirmed as an additional victim rather than a duplicate case, the death toll would rise to 98.

She added that search and recovery operations would continue until the outstanding case had been resolved and authorities were satisfied that all passengers, including any who may not have been formally reported missing, had been accounted for.

Meanwhile, the salvage operation gathered momentum yesterday, with a team led by Mr Craig Hall towing the ferry to a more sheltered location within the Musambakaruma Group of Islands, where calmer conditions will enable specialists to begin the delicate process of righting the vessel.

“We have today managed to tow the vessel to another side of Musambakaruma Islands where it is safe and we can work on the boat without waves and strong winds disturbing us.

“So, what we are going to do is drill holes on the hull to allow water in on one side and push it downwards until it goes past vertical, and then we lift it up. That will allow us to tow it. It’s a complex process that may take up to eight days,” said Mr Hall.

A gantry, described as a floating heavy-duty lifting platform capable of raising the vessel, has been deployed to support the operation. Once the ferry has been righted, it will be towed for a full technical examination aimed at establishing the cause of the accident and the sequence of events leading to the tragedy.

The number of people gathered at Kariba District Hospital has fallen significantly over the past few days as most families have identified and collected the bodies of their loved ones for burial.
Search and recovery operations were expected to continue today.

Related Posts

WARRIORS REVIVAL! Zifa bet on Spanish blueprint

Eddie Chikamhi ZIFA believes it has found the right man to lead Zimbabwe’s football revival after unveiling Spanish coach Ramon Catala as Warriors head coach yesterday, alongside a new technical…

Potraz powers Gwanda Hospital

Farai Dauramanzi, [email protected] The Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ) has handed over a 12kVA solar system to Gwanda Provincial Hospital to power its Intensive Care Unit (ICU)…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *